This two days rail tour to Meteora gives individual young people travelling on budget the chance to discover the beauty and the history of a unique geological phenomenon and the Byzantine Monasteries, listed as UNESCO World Heritage monuments. Don’t regret missing the opportunity during your stay in Athens to discover the breathtaking Meteora Monasteries. Countless panoramic images will remain etched in your memory with the opportunity for video and photos along the way.
- UNESCO World Heritage monuments
- Byzantine Monasteries
Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival at Meteora
Catch the morning train to Kalambaka at 08:27am from Athens ‘Larissa’ Railway Station. Upon your arrival in Kalambaka, at around 13:30, our English speaking driver will be waiting for you at the train station holding a signboard with your name on it to transfer you to your hostel. In the evening the mini bus will pick you up from the hostel to join our ‘Meteora Sunset Tour‘. Admire breathtaking views of Meteora and discover the hidden gems of this place in one of the best tours of Mainland Greece.
Day 2: Meteora
For the next morning you may choose the activity you wish to do: the ‘Explore Meteora cultural heritage‘ to see the main attractions, the monasteries of Meteora with a minibus or the ‘Meteora Hiking Tour Adventure‘. Our guide will meet you in the lobby to explore together Meteora and to discover the natural beauty and the cultural heritage of this area. Enjoy a journey back in time and learn the stories of the first hermits and monks who laid the foundations of the monastic community of Meteora. At around 13:00 the bus will drop you back to your hostel. At 17:32 pm the train departs from Kalambaka and arrives back to Athens at 22:20.
- Travel Bite date and/or time might be modified or cancelled due to weather conditions and in this event the option of an alternative date or full refund will be given.
- In the morning tour, you can choose to take your luggage with you to be dropped-off later at the end of the tour in the town of Kalambaka.
- At our local office, we offer safe storage for your luggage until train’s departure time.
- Any participants under the age of 12 must have a parent or guardian present to sign on their behalf.
- The monasteries have a strict dress code men must wear trousers and long sleeves, women must wear a long skirt. If you do turn up in shorts trousers and shirts will be provided.
- You are encouraged to bring with you good walking (closed toes) shoes with non-slippery soles, a camera, hat, sunscreen, comfortable casual clothing, weatherproof shell jacket, sunglasses, water (at least 1 liter per person), lunch and snacks, backpack to carry everything