The tour in Mochlos by boat and on foot, aspires to be a visit to the archaeological sites on the mainland and on the island, that have been explored in the area, delving, as the archeologists do, into the stories that are hidden in the excavation finds.
In 1908 on the island of Mochlos, a minoan settlement and a cemetery of the 3rd millennium BC came to light. The discovered artifacts began to unfold stories about the people of Mochlos, the stone vessels for the lapidaries, the gold crowns for the goldsmiths, the seals made of stones from the East for the merchants, the clay boats for the seamen.
The excavations continued throughout the 20th century until today, bringing every so often to light new findings. In 2005, a small bronze dragonfly was discovered on the floor of a room. The jewel could tell the story of the coppersmith who made it, the woman who would wore it and the worshipers of the minoan religious who had connected this insect with the goddess of fertility. At the same time, the dragonfly could symbolize the ability of the minoan traveler to cross the seas.
The tour in Mochlos aspires to be a visit to the archaeological sites that have been explored in the area, delving, as the archeologists do, into the stories that are hidden in the excavation finds.
- The art of excavation inside the natural and human-made landscape.
- Driving tour to historical sites travelling back to time, a modern country house, a traditional mill, a venetian tower, a medieval church, a byzantine bath.
- Walking tour to the prehistoric sites around the modern village, a quarry, a cemetery, a craftsmen district.
- Tour on the island of Mochlos, the minoan town and significant port of the 3rd millennium BC. (If the weather does not permit the transfer by boat, the tour will take place from a distance, on the mainland).
- Visiting one of the most beautiful areas of Crete combining sea and mountain
- Visiting a little island by boat (depending on the weather)
- Travelling in the 3rd millennium BC with the eyes of an archaeologist.
- Trekking time: 1-2 hours
- Travel Bite date and/or time might be modified or cancelled due to weather conditions and in this event the option of an alternative date or full refund will be given.
- We would recommend to bring with you trekking shoes, hat, sun glasses & sunscreen, a camera.