The wider area of Rethymno maintains the authenticity of Cretan Landscape, as it was formed during the previous ten centuries. What do we know in our days about the people who lived in this region? What used to be their daily life? How did they interact with the natural environment, creating a landscape that remains unspoilt nowadays? Why did people chose to inhabit this particular area during the ancient times?
This ecotourism holiday will give you the opportunity to enjoy a short and relatively easy trekking in the nearby hinterland of Rethymnon. There, we will delve into the secrets of this beautiful and authentic area, making a journey in the past. We will follow a circular route, crossing two canyons and climbing on old paths at the foot of the ancient mountain of Vrisinas, we will ‘reconstruct’ the lives of people who lived in the previous centuries in the region, among important Byzantine churches, villages of Byzantine and Venetian period, a considerable number of mills and constructions made of local stone for development projects of the past. The trip step by step.
- Hike in the small valley of Rechtras towards the Byzantine church of Saint Eftichiou dating back to the 11th century.
- Walk among the olive groves towards the village Chromonastiri (ancient village) which combines all the characteristics of a small medieval castle.
- Foothills of Vrisinas
- Byzantine church of Panagia Kera which also dates back to the 11th century (1 km., net time 15 minutes).
- Gorge of the Mills, od well preserved mills, two abandoned settlements, and a ruined Venetian villa.
- Hiking time: 6-7 hours
- Hiking distance: 15 km (5 hours)
- Travel Bite date and/or time might be modified or cancelled due to weather conditions and in this event the option of an alternative date or full refund will be given.
- We would recommend to bring with you trekking shoes, hat, sun glasses & sunscreen, a camera.