A gastronomic adventure through time and place… a trip for wine tasting of the Cretan “terroir” – the most famous wine valley of Crete. A trip through Dionysus’s ‘juices’ (musts) for wine tasting and acquaintance with the Cretan “terroir” in the most famous wine-area of Crete. How many secrets are in reality hidden in the grape and in the cultivation of the vine?
A glass of wine includes the aroma of the florescence of the vine and the herbs which grow on its border, the taste of the ripen grape that the picker tastes before throwing it in the bucket, the sound of the viticulture’s steps and the pickers’ laughs, the touch on the shoots which is either soft or violent, the sight which is lost in the extended green (canopy) and calms the spirit.
The wine is a result of senses but is as well enjoyed with them. Each of the senses has its own role, the sight corresponds to the color, the smell to the aromas, the taste to the flavors, the touch to the mouth feel, but what about the hearing?
In the ‘aromas of Cretan wine’, the term of ‘terroir’ is hidden, which corresponds to the soil, climate, cultivation and personality factors, that make a wine unique, means with identity. The indigenous Cretan grape varieties are well incorporated, since centuries, in the natural environment of the island and express the richness (in flavors) of the land which had nourished them.
- Houdetsi village, located in the most important vinicultural area of Heraklion.
- Visit Venetian or Minoan wine presses and getting involved in the cultivation of a traditional Cretan vineyard.
- Tasting of Cretan wines accompanied with paximadi and cheese will be provided.
- Travel Bite date and/or time might be modified or cancelled due to weather conditions and in this event the option of an alternative date or full refund will be given.
- We would recommend to bring with you good walking (closed toes) shoes with non-slippery soles, hat, sun glasses & sunscreen, a hat, a camera.