4×4 off road tour through hundreds of significant archaeological sites. Travel through a mountainous and wild landscape with an impressive view to the sea north of Crete.
This trip takes place at an area -and an era- that has been presented in the documentary
“Bronze Age collapse” of History Channel.
After the decline of the Minoan and Mycenaean civilization on Crete, the island has experienced dramatic upheavals, during the centuries of turning from the 2nd to the 1st millennium B.C., which led many people to seek refuge in the mountains, organizing new defensible settlements in the most inaccessible rocky areas, at the edge of the mountains. The tour at Kavousi area aspires to be an escape route from the dangers of the exposed valley to the safety of the naturally protected peaks of the region and then, a descent route in space and time, from the sky-cities to a forerunner of the city-states.
- The natural and human-made landscape from Minoan period up to now.
- The timeless culture of olive, visiting the ancient olive tree inside the valley of Kavousi.
- 4×4 drive tour to the archaeological sites of Vronda, Kastro and / or Azorias (12th-6th cen. BCE) from a distance.
- Up to the mountains driving to the wild landscape by a 4×4 vehicle
- Total distance by car: 60 km (Kavousi – Olive Tree – Kavousi)
- Hiking distance: Short Walks
- Travel Bite date and/or time might be modified or cancelled due to weather conditions and in this event the option of an alternative date or full refund will be given.
- Not recommended for people suffering from vertigo
- We would recommend to bring with you hiking shoes, hat, sun glasses & sunscreen, a camera.